Old Zionsville Cemetery
Old Zionsville Cemetery is located less than a mile from Shimerville, Pa. John Seip Shimer and his decedents are the namesakes of Shimerville and many of those decedents are buried at Old Zionsville.
"At a beautiful elevation on King's Highway, the road leading from Macungie to Philadelphia, a one-acre plot of land was donated by Peter Hittel on May 20, 1757. The first pastor of Zion's Lutheran Church was undoubtedly the Rev. J. M. Schafer, and the records were opened with the baptism of John Nicolaus, son of Heinrich and Eva Hertzel. Rev. J. F. Schertlein then became pastor, during which the log church was built and a cemetery established in November of 1758. The oldest known grave in the cemetery is that of Johann Jacob Agster, who was born Aug. 13, 1768 and died June 17, 1793."
The older headstones were made from limestone, which is quarried in the area. Limestone and marble are used as headstones because they are easily carved but are dissolved over time.